Thursday, May 13, 2010

Now I know...

I was reading "The inscrutable Americans" by Anurag Mathur and for the first time I understood why I connect with America even though I have never been there... Why, I feel so lost and uncomfortable in India. Why I want to move to some far away place. No, its not that I hate India. Seriously, how can I ? A more appropriate question would be "Can I ever hate India?" 'Am so Indian- So many of my principles are Indian, my dreams are Indian and my very being is Indian. How can the tree survive when it is uprooted? Simple as that.

But I sure think its important for me to be in America. More like New York. Something fast, individualistic and busy.

There is a glory in some of the things that are quintessentially American- the hot dogs, bagels, liberty bell, the pubs, the cars, the "individualism" in the society... I want to be a part of it all... a tiny weeny dot in the big bad city :) You know what I mean ;P

I don't know how people assume that 'am "not" patriotic towards India just because I said "There is a glory in some things American..." Really? That's supposed to show that I am not patriotic? My question here is: "Do I want to be patriotic? Is it such a good quality that I MUST cultivate it?" I don't think so... By the way, if you must know, I AM patriotic but not a fanatic or a nationalist. I just happened to notice many of my friends join this community on Facebook called "I'm an Indian. Be jealous"; It only got me cackling like an old hag! Seriously! Is THAT what you consider "PATRIOTISM"?? :O Hm... Some thinking to do?

I'll be brutally honest at this point: I do believe that America is a much better place than India in many, many ways. And vice versa. Peace.

Anyway, this post was supposed be about the book "The inscrutable Americans" and well, it twisted itself into something else.

Adios amigos,
Ash

1 comment:

  1. I've read inscrutable americans don't think i was ever that confused every time i was there i always wanted to come back to India and now that I'm here I would sometimes wanna go back but I guess thats just human tendency ... crib about everything and never be happy with what u have lol

    ReplyDelete